Imagine a world free from appearance-related anxiety. A world where people can define beauty for themselves - we are making this incredible vision A REALITY!
Girl Guides Australia is proud to be a part of an international partnership with our friends across the globe to support girls and young women to be all that they can be! Together with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, Girl Guides Australia will partnered with Dove to create a program that reached 3.5 million girls across the world by 2016. By 2017, part 2 of the Free Being Me program will be in development.
The partnership is a joint commitment to empower girls to reach their full potential in life through initiatives that strengthen body confidence and self-esteem so the way they think they look never holds them back. Called Free Being Me, the program supports our Guides to increase young people’s body confidence and self-esteem.
Why Free Being Me?
Did you know that right now …
- More than 60% of girls stop doing something they love because they feel bad about how they look.
- 19% won’t try out for a team or a club.
- 23% won’t go to the beach or swimming pool.
- 13% won’t give an opinion.
- 15% won’t go to school.
- Children as young as five, and women as old as 80 say they are worried about their appearance.
- 1 in 2 girls don’t feel comfortable leaving the house without makeup on.
(The Real Truth About Beauty – Revisited, Dove Global Study 2010)