Sally Carlton Library
The Girl Guides Western Australia Library is named after Mrs Eileen Grace (Sally) Carlton M.B.E. (1906 - 1996).
In 1930 Sally Carlton became heavily involved in the Girl Guides Movement and quickly became a Captain of the 1st Como Company.
In 1932 Mrs Carlton followed on from her Captaincy by becoming a Leader of a Brownie Company. Following on form her previous positions Mrs Carlton became a Ranger Captain in 1933.
Throughout this period Sally Carlton also held the position of District Commissioner for the South Perth and Como District, and was appointed the Commissioner of Training for Western Australia Girl Guides, the first Leader to be appointed in Western Australia.
In 1942 the Commonwealth Government decided that an Australia Women's Land Army should be established. The Government felt the need for organisation in the hopes it would relieve the desperate shortage of manpower in country areas, therefore a conference was held with selected State Superintendents in Sydney, with Sally Carlton representing Western Australia.
Soon after the conference Sally held a meeting for young women in Perth Western Australia, to recruit volunteers for the Australian Women's Land Army. Her meeting generated a crowd if 300 young women, most of whom signed up to volunteer for service on land.
In 1945 Sally Carlton started a new career at The Childrens Hospital (now Princess Margaret Hospital) as an Almoner.
During this time Sally was also the Commissioner for Camping and the Captain of and extension Guiding Company - for outpatients of Princess Margaret Hospital.
There seemed to be no end to the Guiding activities in which she was involved, so it was no surprise when in 1961 Mrs Eileen Grace (Sally) Carlton was awarded Membership of the Order of the British Empire, for her services to the community.