Our Barn - The History
Our Barn was originally built in 1849 by pioneer Mr John Henry Monger as a coach house, stables and storehouse for his home 'Faversham House', in the historic town of York, Western Australia.
The property remained in Mr. Mongers family until World War II, when it was handed over to the Commonwealth Government and used by the Red Cross to house recovering servicemen and then War Veterans.
During much of the 1950', the property was uninhabited and became almost derelict. In 1963 the Uniting Church purchased the property and after some renovations, used the property as a conference centre. The barn and coach house was left to its own devices and became more derelict.
In 1970 the York Girl Guides Unit was granted permission to begin a restoration effort on part of the barn complex to use as their meeting hall. This project however, was far larger than they initially thought, and in late 1971, the project was taken over by Mrs Ida Lloyd a Girl Guides Western Australia State Executive Committee Member.The project was then expanded and taken on by the State organisation. Members throughout the State worked and fundraised, first to purchase the property and later to re-build and renovate the building.
Finally on May Day 1977 His Excellency Governor of Western Australia, Sir Wallace Kyle, officially opened Our Barn.