Our Barn

Our Barn is 80km north east of Perth in the stunning historical town of York. This enchanting, heritage listed building is established on a large country block with indoor and outdoor camping facilities. Our Barn is available to groups and families.


Indoor Facilities

  • Single dormitory with 35 beds.
  • Newly renovated showers and toilets.
  • 2 Leaders bedrooms (2 single beds in each bedroom) and separate shower/toilet.
  • Lecture/Activity hall which includes fully equipped kitchen and food storage facilities.
  • Dining Hall with seating for 40 people
  • Living room with lounge chairs, heater and piano
  • Reverse cycle air conditioning in the dining hall, lecture/activity room and dormitory.

Outdoor Facilities

  • Shade verandah
  • Outdoor Tables and Chairs
  • BBQ with Gas
  • Lighting, power, water 
  • Outdoor camping area
  • Outdoor seated circle

Our Barn - The History

Our Barn was originally built in 1849 by pioneer Mr John Henry Monger as a coach house, stables and storehouse for his home 'Faversham House', in the historic town of York, Western Australia.

The property remained in Mr. Mongers family until World War II, when it was handed over to the Commonwealth Government and used by the Red Cross to house recovering servicemen and then War Veterans. 

During much of the 1950', the property was uninhabited and became almost derelict. In 1963 the Uniting Church purchased the property and after some renovations, used the property as a conference centre. The barn and coach house was left to its own devices and became more derelict.

In 1970 the York Girl Guides Unit was granted permission to begin a restoration effort on part of the barn complex to use as their meeting hall. This project however, was far larger than they initially thought, and in late 1971, the project was taken over by Mrs Ida Lloyd a Girl Guides Western Australia State Executive Committee Member.The project was then expanded and taken on by the State organisation. Members throughout the State worked and fundraised, first to purchase the property and later to re-build and renovate the building.

Finally on May Day 1977 His Excellency Governor of Western Australia, Sir Wallace Kyle, officially opened Our Barn.

Activity Equipment

Activity equipment such as games and obstacle courses are available for use from Guide House. If you would like further information on the activity equipment available please contact: [email protected]


Please contact Guide House for further information or use the form below to book.
Phone:  (08) 9479 9800
Email: [email protected]

Girl Guides and Scout groups can use the forms below to book. External groups, please email or call us on the details above.
Our Barn Brochure
(Adobe PDF File)
Overnight Booking Form (Guides and Scouts)
(Microsoft Word Document)
Property Evaluation Form
(Adobe PDF File)
Departure Checklist Girl Guide Unit
(Microsoft Word Document)
Departure Checklist External Parties
(Microsoft Word Document)


Our Barn is located at 9 Ford Street, York, 6302 on the corner of Ford Street and Grey Street in York.